What is a charter school?
A charter school is an independently run public school. Charter schools are granted greater flexibility in their operations. However, in return for this flexibility charter schools are must perform at a higher level of standard for test scores and graduation rates. If student performance falls below the standards set in the charter, the school may be closed by the New York State Department of Education – Charter School Division. In New York State, charter schools must have their charters renewed every five years.
What makes charter schools different from traditional district schools?
Because they are independent of the district system, charter schools have greater flexibility in the way they operate. Charter schools are free to develop their own academic program, choose staff, set educational goals, offer a longer school day and school year, and establish their own standards for student behavior. Charter schools are required to raise student achievement. If they do not meet their performance goals they can be closed.
What are the benefits of enrolling my child in a charter school?
Charter schools provide an alternative to traditional district schools. Charter schools allow parents the opportunity to choose a school based upon what they think will work best for their child. Many charter schools also tend to:
- Emphasize not only the core subjects of English and math, but also the arts, science, and languages;
- Have longer school days and year;
- Be smaller overall, providing a more personal atmosphere.
How do I apply to Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School?
You can apply to our school by completing our online application - Application Link Be sure to select the appropriate school year and grade level you are applying for. More information regarding admission can be found in the Admissions section of our website.
Is there a cost to attend Syracuse Academy of Science?
No. Charter schools are tuition-free, like all public schools. All students, regardless of background, are eligible to submit an application for the lottery. The only cost associated with our school is the uniform.
Does the Syracuse Academy of Science serve English Language Learners?
Yes. If your student is an English Language Learner and requires ELL support, please be sure to note that on your application and you will be contacted by the School if more information is required.
Does the Syracuse Academy of Science accommodate students with IEPs or those receiving other special services?
Yes. We accommodate all children and their individual learning needs. Our resource coordinator will require a copy of your child’s IEP or 504 plan in order to schedule them accordingly. You can request your student’s current school to send a copy if you do not have a current copy at home.
My student has been accepted to Syracuse Academy of Science, what additional paperwork is required to complete enrollment?
Besides a completed application, the following documents are required after acceptance to the school:
- A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
- The most recent report card to verify grade applying for
- A high school transcript with regents scores (if applicable)
- Proof of residency in Onondaga County (driver’s license, phone bill, etc.)
- Copy of IEP or 504 plan (if applicable)
- Copy of immunization record
- Copy of physical exam (done within one year of the school year applying for)
- What type of diploma can my student receive at Syracuse Academy of Science?
- New York State Regents Diploma
- New York State Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation
- New York State Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation and Honors
How many students are in each class at Syracuse Academy of Science?
Each class has approximately 20-25 students. Smaller class size enables more one-on-one time between the teacher and students.