CNY Innovation Challenge
Tuesday, July 27th, 2021—Syracuse Academy of Science middle school 7th grade project based learning students put their creativity and business savvy skills to the test when competing in the CNY Innovation Challenge. Students in grades 6-12 had an opportunity to create and pitch their creative solution to one of the problems below for a chance to win $500.
- Create a product/service that would make your school life easier
- Develop a way for students to save time/be more efficient
- Invent a way to increase understanding of various concepts taught in class
- Design an app that will help increase communication or make teleworking easier
- Fabricate an invention that would improve leisure activities
- Conceive an alternative to standardized tests for measuring student performance
- Build a product/service that will help the environment
- Devise a way to enhance family relationships
- Think of an idea that would help students determine a career path
- Generate a product/service that the world “can’t live without”
Students were tasked with not only finding a creative solution to one of the problems listed above, but also documenting intellectual property to protect concepts that could be used in a patent application. In addition to designing and developing an idea, students would have to develop a solid go-to-market plan and a marketing pitch to “sell” their concept. Throughout this process, students learned various strategies to advance their idea and take a product/service to market.
Syracuse Academy of Science middle school is proud to share that they had two teams of 7th grade students competing in this challenge. The first team's product was: Interchangeable Shoes. The second team's creative solution was: Fodly - a website where SANY families can find inexpensive items. While there was some fierce competition in the CNY Innovation Challenge, the Atoms tried their best and we would like to take this moment to congratulate both teams for a job well done!
Please click here to visit our Facebook page to view their project video.