Facts about Syracuse Academy
The NYS Board of Regents chartered SASCS in 2003 as a public, tuition-free charter school in Syracuse, NY.
The Syracuse Academy of Science offers the best aspects of public and private school education. Our distinctive and intensive academic curriculum focusing on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) provides the foundation for college entrance and careers in technical fields.
Students regularly compete in regional, national and international STEM-focused academic competitions, including Science Olympiad, multiple science fairs, and math competitions. There is also the opportunity to collaborate with industry professionals through lectures and hands-on experiences in fields such as research through local colleges and universities.
3. Enrollment & Locations
- Enrollment for the 2022-2023 academic year is 975 students, grades K-12, on three campuses.
- Syracuse Academy Elementary School, grades K-4, S. Salina St. Syracuse
- Syracuse Academy Middle School, grades 5-7, West High Ter., Syracuse
- Syracuse Academy High School, grades 8-12, W. Genesee St., Syracuse
- Female: 47% Male: 53%
- American Indian/Alaska Native: 1% Black or African American: 64% Hispanic: 11% Asian/Pacific Islander: 4% White: 19% Multiracial: 1%
- Students with Disabilities: 9%
- English Language Learners: 4%
5. Extended School Year and Extended School Hours
SASCS offer a 180 day school year that begins in September. All campuses provide an extended school day. Research continues to show that time in school directly correlates to successes throughout secondary and college careers.
As an institution that emphasizes STEM education, SASCS offers innovative technology in each classroom, making tablets and more available to all students for their educational benefit.
7. Extracurricular Activities
Complementing rigorous studies with activities that enhance the learning experience, build social skills through collaborative endeavors, and encourage team building is essential. SASCS offers numerous activities in the forms of clubs, travel opportunities and community service. Visit our student activities page to learn more.
8. Athletics Go Atoms!
The Atoms and Lady Atoms compete in Section III of the Onondaga High School League of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association.
9. Honors & Accreditation
SASCS is the only charter school in New York State accredited by The Middle States Association, a nationally acclaimed k-16 accreditation organization. SASCS was named one of the Best High Schools in America by U.S. News & World Report in 2013 and 2014.
Data courtesy of NYSED