Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Carlson
Friday, March 12th, 2021—Tune those pitch pipes and strike up the band, as our next Teacher Spotlight features everyone’s favorite high school music teacher, Ms. Carlson! Ms. Carlson is a teacher of many talents, as she teaches Band, choir, guitar, piano, music theory, and general music. Check out our interview below with our high school music teacher, Ms. Carlson.
Interview with Ms. Carlson
- What three traits define you? Life-long learner, dedicated, organized.
- What is your greatest accomplishment? My greatest accomplishment would have to be performing all over the world, I've really seen how music can open doors across languages and cultures.
- Best book you have ever read? I mostly read The New Yorker these days, but I love reading fiction and non-fiction of all kinds. I can't think of a specific book!
- What is one thing you cannot resist?(food/dessert/candy/etc.) I love baking and eating baked goods of all kinds.
- If you could have dinner with one person living or dead who would they be and why? I really miss having dinner with people (outside of my immediate family) due to the pandemic! I think it would be fascinating to sit down with American composers Harry T. Burleigh and Florence Price to learn about their musical writing and challenges as musicians in the early 20th century.
- What advice would you give to kids who are struggling at school? Set small goals every day, keep a to-do list, and cross things off as you finish them.
- Tell us, what is something that might surprise us about you? I've lived and traveled all over the world, I speak Spanish and German.