SANY Action Plan for COVID-19 School Closure
Monday, March 16, 2020—As you know, we are facing an unprecedented public health crisis in our state. As recommended by state and local public health authorities, schools will be closed as of 4 p.m. Monday, March 16, 2020, and we will transition to our distance learning plan.
We recognize that this disruption has an impact on our students, families, and staff. We know that this exceptional moment has prompted questions which we will continue to address.
The Syracuse City School District will provide free Grab & Go breakfast and free bagged lunch to all school-aged children in the City of Syracuse. Science Academies of New York students are encouraged and able to utilize this service.
Starting Tuesday, March 17, meals will be available for pick-up Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m - 12:00 p.m. at the main entrance of each of the following locations:
- Syracuse Academy of Science High School, 1001 Park Avenue, Syracuse NY 13204 (Gym Doors)
- Bellevue Elementary School, 530 Stolp Ave, Syracuse, NY 13207
- Henninger HS, 600 Robinson Street, Syracuse, NY 13206
- Peace Inc. East, 202 Beech St., Syracuse, NY 13210
- Brighton Academy Middle School, 309 W. Brighton Ave, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Huntington PK-8, 400 Sunnycrest Rd., Syracuse, NY 13206
- Peace Inc. West, 200 Wyoming St., Syracuse, NY 13204
- Burnet Park, Coleridge & Grand Ave., Syracuse, NY 13204
- HW Smith PK-8, 1130 Salt Springs Road, Syracuse, NY 13224
- People’s AME Zion Church, 2306 S. Salina St., Syracuse, NY 13205
- Central Library, 447 S. Salina, Syracuse, NY 13202
- ITC HS, 258 East Adams St., Syracuse, NY 13202
- Porter Elementary School, 512 Emerson Ave., Syracuse, NY 13204
- Clary Middle School, 100 Amidon Dr., Syracuse, NY 13205
- LeMoyne Elementary School, 1528 LeMoyne Ave., Syracuse, NY 13208
- PSLA @ Fowler, 227 Magnolia Street, Syracuse, NY 13204
- Corcoran HS, 919 Glenwood Ave., Syracuse, NY 13207
- Lincoln Middle School, 1613 James St., Syracuse, NY 13203
- Salem Hyde Elementary School, 450 Durston Ave., Syracuse, NY 13203
- Delaware Primary School, 900 S. Geddes Street, Syracuse, NY 13204
- Mary Nelson Youth Center, 2849 S. Salina St. Syracuse, NY 13205
- Seymour Elementary School, 108 Shonnard Street, Syracuse, NY 13204
- Dr. Weeks Elementary School, 710 Hawley Ave., Syracuse, NY 13203
- McKinley-Brighton Elementary School, 141 W. Newell Street, Syracuse, NY 13205
- STEAM @ Dr King Elementary School, 416 E. Raynor Ave., Syracuse, NY 13202
- Ed Smith PK-8, 1106 Lancaster Ave., Syracuse, NY 13210
- Meachem Elementary School, 171 Spaulding Ave, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Syracuse Latin School, 345 Jamesville Ave., Syracuse, NY 13210
- Franklin Elementary School, 428 S. Alvord St., Syracuse, NY 13208
- Nottingham HS, 3100 E. Genesee St., Syracuse, NY 13224
- Van Duyn Elementary School, 401 Loomis Ave., Syracuse, NY 13207
- Frazer PK-8 School, 741 Park Ave., Syracuse, NY 13204
- Payton Temple, 1816 Midland Ave., Syracuse, NY 13205
- Webster Elementary School, 500 Wadsworth Street, Syracuse, NY 13208
- Westcott Community Center, 826 Euclid Ave, Syracuse, NY 13210
The Syracuse Academy of Science is committed to the educational experience of your child. During the school closure, we will transition to online learning. All of our students have daily access to instructional notes, assignments, assessments, and virtual instruction, from their classroom teacher via their google classroom.
For those students who DO NOT have any device, we will open the doors of SAS High School located at 1001 Park Avenue, for students to pick up a Chromebook during the following time-frames.
Times: Wednesday, March 18—10 a.m and 12 p.m.
Thursday, March 19—10 a.m and 12 p.m.
Friday, March 20 —10 a.m and 12 p.m.
Location: Syracuse Academy of Science High School, 1001 Park Ave. Syracuse, NY 13204
Before obtaining a device, we ask that you respond to this brief survey to help our school gather information related to internet access and the availability of technology in your home.
Events & After-School Programs
In order to minimize the opportunity for persons to contract and/or spread the Novel Coronavirus(COVID-19), please be reminded that -- all events and after-school programs are canceled until at least April 20. This includes school-sponsored participation in community events.
Talking with your Children about COVID-19
As public conversations around coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) increase, children may worry about themselves, their family, and friends getting ill with COVID-19. Parents, family members, school staff, and other trusted adults can play an important role in helping children make sense of what they hear in a way that is honest, accurate, and minimizes anxiety or fear. CDC has created guidance to help adults have conversations with children about COVID-19 and ways they can avoid getting and spreading the disease.
We will maintain a continuous flow of information. Please follow our websites, social media, and ensure that we have your correct contact information in Schooltool. We want to express our appreciation for the patience of our SANY community as we work through the daily challenges COVID-19 has presented to all of us. We will miss having you and your children in our schools, and we look forward to your return!