- Around 1 billion people take part in Earth Day activities around the world every year.
- April 22 was chosen as the date for Earth Day because it fell between Spring Break and final exams, and organizers wanted to maximize student involvement.
- Gaylord Nelson, a senator from Wisconsin, founded Earth Day in 1970 to raise public consciousness about environmental concerns such as pollution, oil spills and vanishing wildlife.
- Twenty million Americans, or about 10 percent of the country’s population at the time, took part in events and demonstrations on the first Earth Day.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2021—Syracuse Academy of Science Alumni and former Guard for the Atoms, Symir Torrence announced yesterday that he would be trading in his Marquette Golden Eagles jersey for a Syracuse Orange jersey. That's right, the Syracuse native will be moving back home to play for legendary ACC coach Jim Boeheim at Syracuse University. Spectrum News had an opportunity to catch up with Symir at his old turf, or should we say court as Symir practiced his jump shots and shared how excited he is to join Orange Nation, and is looing forward to playing basketball in the Carrier Dome. Click here to watch Spectrum News' interview with Symir Torrence. Congratulations Symir, and welcome back home!
Wednesday, March 31st, 2021-Syracuse Academy of Science high school Alumni Symir Torrence announced today that he will in fact be moving back home and playing basketball with legendary ACC head coach, Jim Boeheim. Symir played two seasons with Marquette University and will have three seasons of eligibility with the Syracuse University Orange. Click here to read the full article from Syracuse.com. Congratulations, Symir and welcome home!
Monday, March 29th, 2021—Spring is in the air, and you know what that means ... Spring Recess! In order for the Atoms to get some rest and relaxation, there will be no school on Monday, March 29th through Friday, April 2nd. Classes will resume on Monday, April 5th. Enjoy your Spring Recess, Atoms!
Friday, March 26th, 2021—A message from your Superintendent:
Hello SANY Families,
Just last week we welcomed the first day of spring, and in true Central New York fashion, we know that there is still a chance of snow in the forecast. However, the thought of snow certainly won’t stop us from enjoying our much needed rest and relaxation during the upcoming Spring Recess.
As we know, Spring Recess mentally reminds us all that we are in fact in the ‘home stretch’ of the school year with one marking period left. Many of our Senior Atoms are anxiously awaiting to receive their acceptance letters from colleges and universities both near and far, as we all prepare for their graduation ceremony in June.
It’s at this moment in time, where we watch the planted seeds of academic drive and thirst for knowledge bloom in the spring and blossom in the summer at graduation. While this year, many if not all of us have withered a tumultuous storm with a global pandemic, we all have found ways to overcome and adapt herculean obstacles that no one could have predicted.
Students, families, faculty and staff continue to amaze me each and every day at how we as a SANY community have come together to not only help one another but the greater Syracuse and Utica communities, as well. In addition, students continued to find ways to achieve academic success despite a global pandemic which speaks volumes to their dedication and commitment to their education.
Below are just a few of the many examples that I wanted to highlight, and share with you. If you have not yet viewed these incredible stories, I urge you to visit.
- Throughout the month of February, the students at Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship hosted a Band-Aid drive collecting over 4,500 children’s Band-Aids which were donated to Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital
- Utica Academy of Science High School’s National Honor Society hosted a Kindness Challenge in February. Students were tasked with demonstrating acts of kindness both big and small as this can make an impact on others and yourself. The Kindness Challenge has been recognized by Assemblywoman Buttenschon, who presented a proclamation for Utica Academy of Science High School.
- SAS High School students Yakina Sika-Amoah and Theodore Simon won many awards and prizes at the MOST’s CNY Science and Engineering Fair for their project which is a robot developed to clean up coastlines. Yakina and Theodre will also be advancing to the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair in 2021!
In closing, I want to wish everyone a happy, safe and restful Spring Recess. We look forward to seeing you on Monday, April 5, 2021 as we get ready to begin that ‘home stretch’ of the school year.
Dr. Tolga Hayali
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021—SANY in collaboration with Chartwells has developed a [contactless drive through] meal service that will allow students greater access to food while at home. Please note, there will be NO meal pick ups during Spring Recess; however, there will be meal pick ups PRIOR to Spring Recess, dates are below.
Meal Pick up Dates
- 3/23 meal pickup will be available and participants will receive three days worth of meals
- 3/25 meal pickup will ONLY be available at SAS High School. Participants will receive SEVEN days of meals to cover the entire spring recess. Please sign up in advance by emailing your school pick up location and number of children you are picking up meals for to:
Pick up Locations and Times
- SAS High – 3/23 and 3/25 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM (NOON)
Monday, March 8th, 2021—Syracuse Academy of Science elementary school invites you to visit their Virtual Spring Scholastic Book Fair now through Sunday, March 21st. Browse exclusive titles, new releases, value packs and much more! All purchases can be made online and shipped to your home. Orders over $25 will receive free shipping. Every purchase benefits Syracuse Academy of Science elementary school and helps develop a love of reading. Click here to visit Syracuse Academy of Science elementary school’s Virtual Spring Book Fair.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021—“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a good book!” - Dr. Seuss. Today is National Read Across America Day, and Dr. Seuss’ birthday. In honor of this national event, below are some ideas of ways you too can celebrate.
- Read a book you've been meaning to read.
- Join your library.
- Read with your Atom.
- Read a book you've read before - you might discover that it has NEW meaning to you since you read it last.
- Have your Atom read a story aloud to you (or your pet). Reading aloud strengthens their vocabulary and language skills and it also creates an opportunity for discussion.
We hope you all have a wonderful National Read Across America Day (and Dr. Seuss Day)!
Friday, March 5th, 2021—The Syracuse Academy of Science middle school Atoms made many great memories this past year, so let’s hold on to them! Submit your pictures to be considered for the 2020 - 2021 middle school yearbook, to Ms. Brett (
Yearbook Photo Ideas
- Students and their pets
- Baby Photos
- Students in the community
- Students in the snow
- Students working on their school work
Saturday, February 27th, 2021—Syracuse Academy of Science High School's National Honor Society invites you to join them for this delicious fundraiser on Saturday, February 27th from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM at Chipotle Mexican Grill (3496 Erie BLVD. East). Orders can be placed online with contactless pickup or for indoor dining. 33% of your order proceeds will be donated to Syracuse Academy of Science. Please see the ordering details below.
- Orders can be placed online at chipotle.com or through their Chipotle App for pickup.
- When ordering, please use code XXYAD27 before checkout in the 'Promo' field to ensure that your proceeds will be counted towards the fundraiser.
- Present this graphic, flyer or mention it to your cashier you're supporting the cause and 33% of the proceeds will be donated to Syracuse Academy of Science.
Tuesday, February 16th, 2021—Syracuse Academy of Science will have no school on Tuesday, February 16th through Friday, February 19th for Winter Recess. Classes will resume on Monday, February 22nd. Enjoy this long weekend, Atoms and remember to stay healthy, safe and warm!